THE DISCOUNTSUse discount code EZINE0319 for 10% off your next order.
MOMS FOR SAFE FOOD
Indian Lentil Stew
This is one of our favorite recipes. The stock can be homemade or store bought. Saffron can be expensive but you only use a pinch. If you have a Trader Joe’s near you they have it at a great price.
Indian Lentil Stew (or Soup)
I found this recipe a few years ago in a vegetarian soup cookbook and we changed it a bit to make it our own. What I love about this recipe, is that you can make it with a little less liquid and have a wonderful rice main or side dish. Or, you can add a little more broth and have a wonderful soup.
Serve it with a warm crusty bread or some Naan (Indian flat bread) and enjoy!
- 1 tbsp. organic olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped organic onion
- 1 tsp. saffron threads, crushed
- 1 tbsp. hot water
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. minced fresh rosemary, or 1 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- 6 cups organic vegetable stock, heated
- One 15-oz. can organic garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup dried organic red lentils
- 3/4 cup organic brown basmati rice
- 1 organic tomato, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh organic cilantro, plus sprigs of fresh cilantro for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix the saffron with the hot water; set aside.
Add the curry powder, cumin, rosemary, and fennel seeds to the Dutch oven; stir for about 30 seconds. Stir in the saffron mixture and the vegetable stock (If you don’t have homemade (the best!) you can use pre-packaged vegetable stock or six cups of a good vegetarian or chicken powdered broth) beans, lentils, and rice. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils and rice are tender, about 45 minutes to an hour. Stir in the tomato and chopped cilantro. Season to taste.
Garnish with sprigs of cilantro.
Read more great posts like this at www.MomsForSafeFood.org
ARE YOU AN INSIDER?
Get the latest Changeling news, discount codes, private Insider Only discounts, and new release previews. The Insider newsletter releases every Monday. Special insider discounts arrive in your inbox -- available only to subscribers!
How do you subscribe? Just log into your Changeling account at https://www.changelingpress.com/login.php.
Changeling news, previews and discount codes!
(Because I want to get discounts, news, and previews)
- Lady Gaga ranked number eleven on the Forbes list of most powerful women in 2011. At twenty-five she was the youngest female to crack the list. She was three spots below Michelle Obama and three above Oprah Winfrey.
- Hugh Laurie of House earned $400,000 plus per episode.
- Sean Connery started going bald at twenty-one and wore a hairpiece for most of his films.
- Only 9 percent of the people in Chad and Niger have access to toilets with septic or sewage connections.
- One person every five seconds in China is killed in an automobile accident.
- China imports chopsticks from the United States.
- China recognizes fifty-six ethnic minorities.
- Costa Rica plans to become the first carbon-neutral country by 2021.
Borrowed by Daheap from The Incredible Book of Useless Information, Don Vorhees
CHANGELING PRESS @ LOVE ROMANCES CAFE BEST OF 2018 AWARDS
Congratulations to Changeling Press nominees:
Best Book All Around 2018 Nominees
Lightning Girl by Elizabeth Jewel
Best Anthology/Boxed Set Nominees
Birds of Prey box set by Willa Okati (Changeling Press)
Tales of the Damned Vol 2: Dragul Rising by Marie Treanor (Changeling Press)
How Not to Date Vol. 2 by Stephanie Burke (Changeling Press)
Star City Crusaders Box Set by Ashlynn Monroe (Changeling Press)
Best LGBTQ Book (Both MM/FF/Trans, etc) Nominees
Art of Dodger by Kiernan Kelly (Changeling Press)
Best Series Nominees
Dixie Reapers MC Series by Harley Wylde (Changeling Press)
Moonspell Series by Jessica Coulter Smith (Changeling Press)
Best Science Fiction/Futuristic Book Nominees
Jennifer and the Alien Badass by Jessica Coulter Smith (Changeling Press)
Raven’s Crew by Ashlynn Monroe (Changeling Press)
Best Fantasy/Steampunk Book Nominees
His Touch by Dulce Dennison (Changeling Press)